Summer safety tips
Here’s some advice to keep your home safe and secure this summer.
BBQs: satisfy your appetite safely:
- Use your barbeque in a well-ventilated outdoor space. Never use on balconies or bring indoors.
- Position your barbeque well away from fences, sheds, shrubs and garden waste.
- Keep a bucket of water or sand nearby for emergencies.
- Make sure your barbeque is fully extinguished when you’ve finished using it and the gas bottle is turned off and removed safely.
- Do not empty any ash or place disposable barbeques in the bin until they have cooled down completely.
Smoke alarms: 60 seconds a week could save your life. Test your smoke alarm regularly – if you discover a problem, visit our Repairs Guide for advice on how to resolve it.
Window sills: Remove glass or mirrored items from your windowsill. Strong light reflections can start a fire.
Charging over night: This applies all year round – never leave items on charge unattended and especially when asleep.
More information on preventing fire in the home can be found here.
Going on holiday?
Water hygiene: If you are going to be away for a week or more, make sure you run your taps when you get home to flush out excess bacteria. Find out more in our Water Hygiene Guide.
Think theft: don’t advertise your empty home on social media whilst you’re away. Avoid checking into your destination or sharing holiday snaps online. It could make your home a target for burglary.
If you’re away for more than two weeks, let us know who we should contact in your absence. You can do this by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lock up before bed: make sure ground level windows are shut and secured overnight. Keep low furniture away from windows so young children can’t climb up and fall out – even on the ground floor.
Safety checks: test your doors and windows to make sure they are in functioning order to prevent thieves getting inside easily. If you discover an issue, report it.
Prepare for the winter months ahead. Now is the time to check that your central heating system is in working order. Flag any issues with us in good time, so we can fix them ahead of the frost – all possible in our handy Repairs Guide.